[wellylug] Just discovered server is not serving up pages

John Durham john.modec at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 2 18:39:38 NZDT 2011

On 31/12/2010 10:29 p.m., Dagan McGregor wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 17:12 +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>>>>>>

>   I think what John is referring to here is getting the DNS registration
> updated to point DNS A record for modecideas.com to 121.73.82.180 -
> which would make sense if he was talking to Kiwi Host about it.
>

>> > From my cable connection, I can ping and tcptraceroute both ips. It
>> looks like the .1 address is the address of the router, and the .180
>> address goes via a Telstra-provided vpn - to the same box?
>
>   It's more likely the .1 is the modem is a cable gateway, and the .180
> is the actual modem/router address serving the traffic.
>
>   I believe the original problem of not seeing the website at all, is as
> Mark pointed out, because traffic wasn't getting through the .180
> address to the server hosting the website.
>
>   One the DNS update is done, it should all work as expected.
>
>   Dagan
Thanks, I did what I could, but don't know how to update the DNS on the
Centos server. Would the situation be clearer if you could
1) See the server
2) Give it the needed commands directly?
I am still keen to learn about these things, especially if one of you
can demonstrate how they are done.

PS: Due to the importance of this server, I cannot move it off site or
shut it down for long. This is much more your territory than mine.
--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786