[wellylug] Server still off line

Neil Ramsay neil.ramsay at agentnoel.geek.nz
Mon Jan 17 14:30:25 NZDT 2011

Good afternoon,
I have had a brief exchange with John.

The site in
question is modecideas.com, which is registered with a registrar
"ehost".
It looks like there may be DNS issues, as www.modecideas.com
resolves to 38.113.1.111, which reverse resolves to smtp.ehost.com.

Another hint is https://www.modecideas.com provides a *.ehost.com SSL
certificate.

I have confirmed with John that it is not a split DNS
issue as modecideas.com resolves the same internally and externally.

Any constructive suggestions for John would be appreciated.

Neil

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:27:04 +1300, Neil Ramsay wrote:

> Hi John,

I think what we need is specific information.

> _What is your
technical experience?_

> _Which site are you referring to?_
> I have
noticed modecideas.com in your email signatures, which is registered to
you, is this the site you mean?

> _What errors are you receiving?_

I have tried to connect to modecideas.com and receive a "403 Forbidden"
message - is this what you are referring to?

> _What is your network
layout?_
> Which ISP do you use and do you have an ADSL modem/router or
cable modem?
> What firewall does your server run, and what is between
your server and the modem/router?
> Are you running split DNS? (ie does
your site resolve to different IP addresses when inside and outside your
network)

> _What services are you running?_
> Are you running the
Apache2 web server. Anything else?
> Are these services binding to all
interfaces, or only specific ones?

> I may also suggest you don't
post this information directly on the mail list, but rather directly
email those who ask for it.
> This is a public mail list and you don't
want to expose too much for security purposes.

16 Jan 2011 12:50:06 +1300, John Durham wrote:

>> Just got back to
the office hoping for better news, but no server
>> connection yet. The
problem is limited to the cent-OS machine. Does
>> anyone know how to
get it on line? I'm somewhat out of my depth with this.