[wellylug] USB 3.0 via PCI-e, & SATA HDD enclosures/docks

Daniel Reurich daniel at centurion.net.nz
Tue Jul 5 13:42:07 NZST 2011

Hi David,

USB3 support is still a bit iffy in the Linux Kernel, and most of the
USB3-sata chipsets around seem pretty crappy.  I tried one a few months
back and it didn't allow pass through of SMART info (important for
monitoring the health of backup disks) and it didn't support greater
then 1.5TB harddisks.  (I'd poked a 3TB disk in it and it only showed up
as 800GB).

I'd stick with e-SATA because at least it's native ATA and as fast as
the controller/disk themselves allow.

Regards,
	Daniel