[wellylug] USB 3.0 via PCI-e, & SATA HDD enclosures/docks

David Antliff david.antliff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 15:04:36 NZST 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 13:42, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> USB3 support is still a bit iffy in the Linux Kernel, and most of the
> USB3-sata chipsets around seem pretty crappy.  I tried one a few months
> back and it didn't allow pass through of SMART info (important for
> monitoring the health of backup disks) and it didn't support greater
> then 1.5TB harddisks.  (I'd poked a 3TB disk in it and it only showed up
> as 800GB).
>
> I'd stick with e-SATA because at least it's native ATA and as fast as
> the controller/disk themselves allow.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your advice. I did consider eSATA but there's a possible
issue with hot plugging.

I also understand that some controllers have problems with
hot-plugging, and I definitely need hot-plugging ability. Perhaps
there's an eSATA PCI or PCI-e card you can recommend that is known to
have Linux support for hot-plugging?

The host machine already has an unused PCI SATA-1.0 card installed
(this one: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=ADPSTL12360 - can't
find the manufacturer's page) however I strongly suspect it won't
support hot plugging. I can at least try it and see - however I've
never connected anything via eSATA before so I'm not completely sure
whether I can use the 'standard' SATA cables externally (are they
properly shielded?), and how one gets power to the dock?

Would you (or anyone) happen to be able to recommend a good (reliable)
eSATA external "dock"?

Regards,

-- David.