[wellylug] USB 3.0 via PCI-e, & SATA HDD enclosures/docks

Daniel Reurich daniel at centurion.net.nz
Tue Jul 5 15:32:39 NZST 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 15:04 +1200, David Antliff wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 13:42, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> > USB3 support is still a bit iffy in the Linux Kernel, and most of the
> > USB3-sata chipsets around seem pretty crappy.  I tried one a few months
> > back and it didn't allow pass through of SMART info (important for
> > monitoring the health of backup disks) and it didn't support greater
> > then 1.5TB harddisks.  (I'd poked a 3TB disk in it and it only showed up
> > as 800GB).
> >
> > I'd stick with e-SATA because at least it's native ATA and as fast as
> > the controller/disk themselves allow.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for your advice. I did consider eSATA but there's a possible
> issue with hot plugging.

> I also understand that some controllers have problems with
> hot-plugging, and I definitely need hot-plugging ability. Perhaps
> there's an eSATA PCI or PCI-e card you can recommend that is known to
> have Linux support for hot-plugging?

Most recent SATA-300 and later chipsets are fine with it.  If your
maninboard has an e-sata port it will be all good.  Just remember to
properly unmount the disk before you power it down/unplug it.  If their
is a risk it will be hot unplugged without unmounting it then mount it
with the "sync" option reduce the risk of FS corruption.

> The host machine already has an unused PCI SATA-1.0 card installed
> (this one: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=ADPSTL12360 - can't
> find the manufacturer's page) however I strongly suspect it won't
> support hot plugging. I can at least try it and see - however I've
> never connected anything via eSATA before so I'm not completely sure
> whether I can use the 'standard' SATA cables externally (are they
> properly shielded?), and how one gets power to the dock?

The e-sata cables are different, but most e-sata drives will come with
both the cable and a pci-slot bracket to patch it to internal sata
ports.

> Would you (or anyone) happen to be able to recommend a good (reliable)
> eSATA external "dock"?

Sure.  Do you want just a dock you can plug the bare disks in, or do you
want fully enclose caddies.

Regards,

--
Daniel Reurich.

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Mobile 021 797 722