[wellylug] 2degrees huawei e1552 mobile modem: works fine

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Tue Mar 8 14:03:37 NZDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 13:34 +1300, Douglas Bagnall wrote:
> I am stuck in a period of travel between the main centres, so I bought
> one of these usb wireless modems.  The Dick Smiths people had dire
> warnings and Google was confused, so I assumed it would work and it
> did.  Here is what you need to do on Ubuntu 10.10:

While travelling recently I got my laptop online by setting up my phone
as a Wifi access point.  I spent quite a while searching the Android
market for an app to do that before I realised that it's a standard
feature of Android (at least 2.2, maybe earlier) and all I had to do was
turn it on in the settings menu.

I've also found it useful to run *all* the computers at home through my
phone's wifi AP when a) my ADSL fails again or b) my prepaid mobile data
allowance is expiring soon and the DSL data usage is approaching the
next nGB charge point.

At $450 for the phone it's obviously more expensive than the USB stick
approach.

Cheers
Grant