[wellylug] 2degrees huawei e1552 mobile modem: works fine

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 8 13:34:35 NZDT 2011

I am stuck in a period of travel between the main centres, so I bought
one of these usb wireless modems.  The Dick Smiths people had dire
warnings and Google was confused, so I assumed it would work and it
did.  Here is what you need to do on Ubuntu 10.10:

1. Install usb-modeswitch (using aptitude or whatever).

2. Plug in the modem. Network Manager will notice it.

3. Go through a short setup wizard.  The only thing it needs to know
is that the APN is "internet".

Then it works.  Every few days it drops the connection and confuses
Network Manager, which I fix by pulling the modem out for a second.

There is one more thing, though.  If you want to know how much traffic
you are using, you need to read SMS messages that the device receives.
There are 2 ways to do this: take out the modem's SIM card and put it
in a phone, or install SMS reading software.  Eventually I tried the
latter by installing wammu, a GTK front end for gammu, which talks to
the modem.  There is another wizard, where you tell it to use AT codes
and, just to build on the 90s nostalgia, you have to guess which /dev
file to use.  And then you can read a small pile of phone company text
spam.  It seems you need its internet connection off for querying SMSs
to work.  Once you are getting text messages, you can register on the
web and look up your usage and stuff (they still don't know who you
are -- username is the SIM's number).

Maybe I have forgotten some step, but if so, that is only because
there wasn't much to remember.

Douglas