[wellylug] pulseaudio & skype

Rob Collins robcollins55 at aim.com
Tue Mar 15 10:52:17 NZDT 2011

Thanks all for replies.  Yes Franck, in fact "PulseAudio Server (local)"
is the *only* option for all sound inputs and outputs on my skype
2.1.0.81 settings.

Glen:  I follow that apps that are trying to access sound devices direct
instead of going through pulseaudio will throw up an error instead but
skype on this Opensuse 11.4 distro *is* a pulseaudio app and also
refuses to make the skype test call only while pavucontrol is running.
ie It is happy enough making the test call when pavucontrol is not up.

Kingsley:  one of the reasons why i went with opensuse originally was
that they had made the decision not to force pulseaudio into kde, but
unfortunately this seems to have been reversed now.  I have been down
the remove-pulse-in-favour-of-alsa route before but you just end up
fighting against the flow in my experience with distros that the devs
have set up around pulse.  I am really not sure what my next move should be.

For all those who said their ubuntu *.* works fine with skype pulse, I
am really not surprised as gnome seems to be far better equipped to
handle this sound system.  Conversely there seems to be no kde native
tools to properly assess and control what pulse is doing.

Rob