[wellylug] Linux and XP

Glenn Morrissey glennstuartmorrissey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 19:06:59 NZDT 2012

Thanks Tim and Jeff, I appreciate your quick response.

I did download and transfer scanmodem to my Linux machine via a
usbstick, and did manage to run it. Took a look at the output and
thought perhaps for a moment it was an error on my part in installing
Linux...
I will digest it and try and make some sense of what scanmodem is
telling me, but I do imagine it is going to take some time to do so.

I don't know where to start when dealing with I.P addressing. There is
got to be something in there that I need to assign or set, honestly I
just don't know what. At a basic level I can ping either machine from
(a) terminal in Linux and (b) command prompt in XP. Although,
curiously, I cant get a ping from the Network Tools Application in
Linux.

There has to be sense in there somewhere since when the Asus is booted
with Vista, I can fileshare between Vista and XP, although, equally
curiously, I cant manage to get either machine to share an internet
connection, no matter which machine I tell to share its internet
connection.

I do understand, hopefully correctly, that you need Samba to fileshare
in Linux, but to install Samba I need to download the packages and to
do that, I need (somehow) to connect to the internet.

Thank you all.
Glenn.