[wellylug] (no subject)

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sat Jan 14 18:12:57 NZDT 2012

On 14/01/12 17:34, Glenn Morrissey wrote:
> Well gnome won't work if the system doesnt detect a modem in the first place.
>
> And I can't use a serial modem because I don't have a serial port, my
> machines not old enough. And USB modems are just software modems
> anyway, a usb modems just a dsp chip.
>
> Either, a) get broadband so Linux will detect a broadband modem (Hopefully) or,
>            b) just don't use Linux.
Um, what?
I've used USB Modem devices (in the form of 3G Modems) without drama
since Ubuntu 8.

That's hella dismissive and not really constructive.  There are chipsets
out there that work; easiest thing to do is tail the syslog or messages
file and plug the device in, see how it's detected.

(My T-Stick under an Ubuntu 8.04 derivative was /dev/ttyUSB0 happily.)