[wellylug] Linux and XP

Glenn Morrissey glennstuartmorrissey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 18:44:12 NZDT 2012

Hey Jeff

you'r a gem. Must buy you a beer.

There is something fishy in Linux because I can ping 192.168.0.1 (The
XP Box) from terminal but I cant from the ping tab in network tools.
It just doesnt want to ping. It wont even ping itself (192.168.0.2).
Very strange. Yet, I can ping 192.168.0.2 from XP.

I have visited: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126 about internet
connection shaing in XP and it seems like im doing it right.

And yet under connection information in Linux my connection settings are:

General
Interface:                 Ethernet (eth0)
Hardware address:   00:1F:C6:ED:C2:10
Driver                      atl2
Speed:                   100 Mb/s
Security:                 none

IPv4
IP Address:             192.168.0.2
Broadcast Address: 192.168.0.255
Subnet mask:          255.255.255.0
Default Route:         192.168.0.1

IPv6
Ignored.

I even disabled the firewall in XP, so that shouldnt be in the way.

Like I said, I can ping 192.168.0.1 from terminal, but cant ping
yahoo.com or anything else.

Something strange going on.

Glenn.