[wellylug] Adding SATA drives to PATA system

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Sun Jun 3 10:44:37 NZST 2012

Hey,

I have an old m/b which is PATA only.  I have a SATA PCI card in it
which I connect a SATA drive to for making backups using a SATA hotswap
enclosure.

Now I want to hang a couple of SATA drives off the SATA card to add more
disk space (only 320GB drives, but they're hand me downs, so the right
price!).

But, when I attach them and boot with them installed GRUB2 only gets as
far as the "Welcome to GRUB!" message and then hangs.  It doesn't even
make it to the grub rescue environment.

I've booted off my network boot setup and tried:

1) dd'ing /dev/null over the GRUB portion on those disks incase there
was an old GRUB install
2) Cloning GRUB off my existing PATA drives (and /boot) onto the SATA
drives.
3) re-installing GRUB from the rescue network boot image with all the
disks attached.

None of those have worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to resolve this?

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven
Wellington, New Zealand