[wellylug] Adding SATA drives to PATA system

Cliffp enkidu at cliffp.com
Sun Jun 3 11:49:10 NZST 2012

On 03/06/12 10:44, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have an old m/b which is PATA only.  I have a SATA PCI card in it
> which I connect a SATA drive to for making backups using a SATA hotswap
> enclosure.
>
> Now I want to hang a couple of SATA drives off the SATA card to add more
> disk space (only 320GB drives, but they're hand me downs, so the right
> price!).
>
> But, when I attach them and boot with them installed GRUB2 only gets as
> far as the "Welcome to GRUB!" message and then hangs.  It doesn't even
> make it to the grub rescue environment.
>
> I've booted off my network boot setup and tried:
>
> 1) dd'ing /dev/null over the GRUB portion on those disks incase there
> was an old GRUB install
> 2) Cloning GRUB off my existing PATA drives (and /boot) onto the SATA
> drives.
> 3) re-installing GRUB from the rescue network boot image with all the
> disks attached.
>
> None of those have worked.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to resolve this?

I don't know about grub2, but adding the new disks has probably changed
the order of the disks and made your SATA ones the first ones detected,
perhaps. See how they are named when you boot off the network. Another
option is to give the disks a UUID and use the UUID in /etc/fstab.

You will need to put the bookstrap sector onto the SATA disk that comes
first anyway. (Did step 2 do that?) It is probably a good idea to put a
boot sector on all the disks. (again I don't know about grub 2).

Cheers,

Cliff