[wellylug] Adding SATA drives to PATA system

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Mon Jun 11 12:13:25 NZST 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 11:49 +1200, Cliffp wrote:
> I don't know about grub2, but adding the new disks has probably changed
> the order of the disks and made your SATA ones the first ones detected,
> perhaps. See how they are named when you boot off the network. Another
> option is to give the disks a UUID and use the UUID in /etc/fstab.

Given the general nastiness I've encountered with UUIDs for disks, I've
avoided them like the plague.  ;)

/boot is on a RAID anyhow.  grub2 has a nice feature where if it can't
find some of the modules, it'll fallback to a rescue mode.  But that
isn't happening in this case.

> You will need to put the bookstrap sector onto the SATA disk that comes
> first anyway. (Did step 2 do that?) It is probably a good idea to put a
> boot sector on all the disks. (again I don't know about grub 2).

That shouldn't be needed, as grub is starting.  If that was an issue
then the BIOS would barf with a "Can't find operating system" error.

I've tried turning off the graphical mode of grub2 as that is known to
have some bugs, but that hasn't fixed it either.

Sigh.

--
Andrew Ruthven
Wellington, New Zealand