[wellylug] Meeting this month

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Mar 10 15:24:09 NZDT 2014

Hi Chris,

I'm discussing spatial data management & GIS with Linux.

I can do as long or short as desired... been using series of Linux GIS workstations for about 12 years - with no commercial GIS software used...

(spatial) data management  (SpatialLite, MariaDB, Postgis)

visualisation/interactive mapping (QGIS - or gvSIG, uDIG, SAGA, GRASS, R, etc)
analysis/modeling (SAGA, QGIS, R, GMT, GRASS)

cartography (R, GMT)
libraries (GDAL/OGR/GEOS/Proj.4)

web mapping (server & client) (Mapserver, Geoserver, OpenLayers, Leaflet)

metadata (Geonetwork, CKAN - DKAN)

time series data (climate, hydrometric, water quality)

biodata (observations, presence/absence, taxonomy)

standards/interoperability/data sharing (in NZ & internationally) (ISO/ANSI/OGC- WMS, WFS, CSW, WPS, SOS, vocab services/ontologies, etc)

support, FOSS, commercial (OSGEO, ....)
data sources (LINZ, Koordinates, NIWA, GNS, LCR, Councils, international...)

A 5 minute overview or a full tutorial/workshop on each :-)

Just confirm what people want, and how much presentation vs demo is preferred & I can put something suitable together... usually about 20-30 mins gives a brief intro covering the various aspects  - so 30 mins for each of us occupies about an hour... if that sounds OK?

I'll scribble out a slide for each topic above, talk for one to two minutes on each & then discuss/demo looks about right...

Now, how many people has that put off?

Cheers,

  Brent Wood