[wellylug] Curious disk problem

peterlowrie@vodafone. co.nz peterlowrie at vodafone.co.nz
Mon Apr 25 10:20:37 NZST 2016

Try new cables. Check condition of hdd connector sockets

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Hunt <jeffhunt90 at gmail.com> Date: 24/04/2016  4:15 pm  (GMT+12:00) To: wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz Subject: [wellylug] Curious disk problem
This is too embarrassing to take to the world community but I wonder
if anyone has any clues.
I have bought 4 1TB sata drives off Trademe and they are great and
running Ubuntu and Mint but the one in my wife's machine failed
routinely with 'grub rescue' but would run on a second boot as long as
it wasn't turned off - using CTRL Alt Delete.

I assumed it was a minor installation problem. We limped by and I
reinstalled with Ubuntu 16.04 when it arrived but the disk does the
same thing except Ctrl Alt Delete doesn't work but starting the
computer on a live USB and then restarting onto the disk works. Quite
weird. It seems that something can sometimes linger on from a previous
start to encourage the disk to boot. I did a grub recover using the
instructions on gparted so it is now on its third grub install and
second OS.

I considered reformatting to GPT, but on a Bios computer that seems to
be too much for my tiny brain.

I'm reluctant to throw away a fairly new 1TB drive that seems to work
very well if appropriate magic is performed first but it not a happy
situation.

Any thoughts?

Wellington Linux Users Group Mailing List: wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz