[wellylug] Trouble resolving with name server

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 08:44:26 UTC 2017

Hi all

Hoping some of you strong in the ways of Linux-networking-fu will be
able to help...

My ISP (whom I won't name, though you could discover it without much
effort) automatically assigns me two name servers when I my ASDL modem
connects.

I try to resolve flo2cash.co.nz (the only site I am having trouble
with; other websites are working) using each NS:

$ nslookup flo2cash.co.nz 203.96.16.36   <- secondary

WORKS

$ nslookup flo2cash.co.nz 203.96.16.35  <- primary

FAILS with "server can't find flo2cash.co.nz: SERVFAIL"

$ dig flo2cash.co.nz @203.96.16.35

FAILS with "SERVFAIL"

This causes me difficulty (this is the site I use to pay domain name fees).

To try and work out what is going on I also do:

$ nslookup -norecurse flo2cash.co.nz 203.96.16.35

FAILS with "Non-authoritative answer: *** Can't find flo2cash.co.nz: No answer"

$ dig +norecurse flo2cash.co.nz @203.96.16.35

WORKS (but doesn't fix my problem because my web browser isn't as
clever as dig).

The explanation I have been given for why the primary NS doesn't work
is that the authoritative servers for flo2cash.co.nz, which are
ns.freeparking.co.nz and ns2.freeparking.co.nz, inexplicably bounce
some requests (and apparently it's not confined to the NS I am having
problems with).

Does that sound right in the light of the results of nslookup / dig
queries?  It seems mighty strange that it works for one of the ISP's
default name servers and not the other.  Is there anything else I
could do from my end to work out why it is failing?

Note: the issue is solved by the workaround of using a couple of
different name servers, but this doesn't seem to be fixing the
underlying problem.  It also requires reconfiguring my ASDL modem to
_not_ use the NSs automatically assigned by the ISP's DHCP, and this
leaves an untroubleshootable setup for less technologically inclined
members of my household (e.g. if they do a factory reset of the modem
for any reason and I am not home).

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')