[wellylug] Meeting next week (combined with WOSSAT)

Hugh Davenport hugh at davenport.net.nz
Fri Mar 16 01:02:57 UTC 2018

Hi All,

There are no speakers lined up this month for WellyLUG, so there will be no meeting on Monday. The good news is there is a new user group called "Wellington Open Source Show And Tell" (https://wossat.nz/) which is meeting on Tuesday at the same place. I would suggest we could go to that instead for this months meeting. There is also a mailing list for wossat, so it could be good if you join that if you want more news about their meetings.

One thing that I would like to discuss is the future of WellyLUG. I've been running it for a few years now, and recently it has had not many speakers volunteering, which makes my job as an organiser very hard. In the past I have filled those voids with talks from myself, but I'm not full of talks. I'm considering putting WellyLUG into hibernation again, in favour of going to a group with a wider range of topics such as this new WOSSAT. This group came out of similar issues with the Wellington Perl Mongers group, which has just gone into hibernation itself.

If the group does hibernate, the mailing list will still continue to exist for periodic discussions, it would just be the meetings that would stop.

If you would like to put some input into this, I would be more than accepting. This won't happen straight away, but it is something that may happen in the nearish future.

Hopefully I will see some of you at WOSSAT on Tuesday, 6pm, Level 3 Catalyst, 150 Willis St. If so, I'm happy to stick round afterwards and have a "meta" group meeting to discuss thoughts.

Cheers,

Hugh