[wellylug] Challenges, challenges

Klenner, Colin colin.klenner at eds.com
Wed Jun 13 08:22:57 NZST 2001

Hi Ken,

It sounds like you have created a situation that is reasonably common bu not
unusual.
A hidden partition occurs when there are two or more 'primary' partitions on
the same disk.
When you boot from one, the other is automatically hidden because it is not
marked as 'active'.

There are a couple of solutions, depending on the way you wish to address
the problem.
1. When you wish to boot from the other partition use a floppy boot and
FDISK. In FDISK choose which partition you wish to make 'active' and that
becomes the partition you will boot from.

2. Alternately - and hopefully the partition you want is not the first one
on the disk - delete the offending partition altogether and recreate it asn
an 'extended' partition. Unfortunately you wish to be able to boot up
Windows, so you will need to have that on the first partition.

3. If you can, and have the time, delete the Mandrake partitions and
recreate them from the ground up. This time you will be creating the
partitions all over again, so should avoind the current trap. Make sure you
can boot to Windows first using the procedure above. By a ground up build
you will allow Mandrake toproperly confure the partitions, and that will
ensure Windows is accessible. I recommend you create a small - say 6mb -
partition when doing this for /boot, and make this the area where Lilo or
Grub load from. I have found this means I can rebuild Windows or Linux at
will without losing the boot  menu.

I hope this all helps. Basically the problem is with partitions, and the
answer is with deciding which should be active.

regards
Colin