[wellylug] Q - multiple jetstart connections

Grant McLean grantm at web.co.nz
Sat Dec 7 15:45:24 NZDT 2002

One very simple approach is: when you've used up all the
pre-paid traffic allowance on the first line, unplug it and
plug in the second one instead.  Low-tech but effective.

On a related note, I have written a Perl script to automate
tracking my JetStream usage.  You can download it from here:

  http://web.co.nz/~grantm/cpan/jetstreamusage.zip

It needs a number of modules from CPAN including LWP,
Net::SSLeay (since the JetStream usage site uses SSL), GD
(for creating a graph of your usage) oh and XML::Simple for
the config file (obviously).  I actually developed it using
ActivePerl on Windows XP (for which all the modules are easily
installed via PPM), but there shouldn't be any problem using
it on Linux as long as you get the required modules installed.

To use it, edit the config file to add
 * your signon details
 * the pre-paid traffic allowance for the plan you're on
 * the filename you'd like it to write the chart to
then run it from a cron job.

As well as the chart, it also maintains a plain text log of
the usage by day.

Regards
Grant