[wellylug] A little project....

Damon Lynch damon at dev-zone.org
Mon Jul 15 16:24:35 NZST 2002

Debian?   I like and respect Debian.  It's on our server at the office.
But as a standalone desktop for novice users without hand-held support
-- I don't think it would be suitable.  It's great for hardcore techies
but not much good for the bewildered newbie.

Also, it's packages are compiled for 386 class machines right, not
Pentium?

But if you are talking of Linux Terminal Services and a solid, competent
techie to maintain it on the server, it's possible.  But that's going to
cost $$$.  Who's going to give them a grunty server for free?

Otherwise, if pure networked desktops, surely a more desktop-oriented
distro would be better?  One with auto-detection of hardware, a few
wizards and GUI front ends etc.

Damon

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 15:59, Tom Peck wrote: Hi Rob

When you say 'Pentium with 64MB memory' do you mean Pentium first
generation 75Mhz - 150Mhz machines?

I have successfully setup Debian Woody on a Pentium 133Mhz - it's rather
slow when running programs locally (like mozilla), but using it as a
terminal type machine works fine when connected to a decent server
system (mine connects to a P3 700, running Gnome2 + GDM).

What sort of software will be needed on the systems?  I'd recommend
Debian as a fairly easy to install low resource requiring distro.

Tom

Rob Giltrap - Ubiety Group wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have been speaking with the '2020 Communications Trust'. They have
> been given 400 PCs (mostly Pentium with 64MB memory) from the Wgtn
City
> Council to distribute to charitable organisations within Wellington.
>
> A problem they have is that this PCs often come without the MS
licences
> and to pay for them is not an option. The would prefer to investigate
> putting open source software onto these machines so that they are
usable
> by the non-profit orgs and then they don't have to worry about being
> audited.
>
> I have suggested that this could be a project for the WellyLUG members
> to come up with a solution. Due to the age/power of the machines
> RH7.3 and cranking up Gnome/Nautilus is not going to be viable. There
is
> also the question of ongoing support and training which will need to
> have answers.
>
> If we are interested in taking on this challenge the 2020
> representitives will come to the next WellyLUG meeting.
>
> Your ideas/comments will be well recieved.
>
> Thanks, Rob.
>

>   .-.   Wellington
>   /V\   Linux
>  // \\  Users