[wellylug] Hard drive being accessed?

Shroeder shroeder at orcon.net.nz
Fri Nov 15 09:07:30 NZDT 2002

Hi Guys

I'm a bit of a newbie (and have about 5 questions I need to ask - however I will take them one at a time)

I've got RedHat 8.0 installed (of CD's) on a multiboot machine.

When I have it just sitting there (logged on and in KDE/bluecurve), after about 30 minutes of no activity (as I'm watching TV) the thing seems to try to do something with the hard drive.  The hard drive light comes on and you can hear it being accessed (or what ever HD's do)

If I open a terminal and type a command (some delay is evident in response) then things go back to normal..

Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this (I assume I've set something up wrong??)

Thanks

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/