[wellylug] Mandrake 9.0 unable to write to floppy

Richard Hector rhector at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Oct 12 11:55:56 NZDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 10:06, Jamie Dobbs wrote:
> On a fresh install of Mandrake 9.0 I am unable to write to floppy disks
> (in this case vfat ones).
>
> my /etc/fstab looks like this:
>
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0 0 0
>
> /dev/fd0 has these properties:
>
> lr-xr-xr-x /dev/fd0 -> floppy/0
>
> floppy/0 looks like this:
>
> 0 brw-rw--w- /dev/floppy/0
>
> I'm tempted to chmod u+w on this but seeing as I can't write to the
> floppy even when I'm root I don't see how this can make any difference.

my fstab line:
/dev/fd0     /floppy     auto    defaults,user,noauto   0 0

my device file:
brw-rw----    1 root     floppy     2,   0 Jan 27  2002 /dev/fd0

(That's on Debian)

But it works (for root, anyway) even if I remove the 'w's.

Can you write to it when it's not mounted? Eg with
tar czvf /dev/fd0 /etc
(or with /dev/floppy/0)

That might narrow it down a bit - whether it's something with the
driver, or how it's mounted.

Richard

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JjlUgA/vN2EAA/H2RGAA/0XFolB/TM