[wellylug] (unknown)

Stephen Judd sljudd at paradise.net.nz
Mon Feb 10 08:06:16 NZDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 22:16, Damon Lynch wrote:
> Hi Jamie,
>
> There is a big difference between the motivation behind spam and the
> aspirations behind the petition.  Hence, a different moral judgement
> should be applied.  If your family members lived in Iraq you would have
> reacted differently.

Um, I think in defining spam we should NOT apply moral judgements. All
the attempts to formally define spam that I have seen specifically
refrain from talking about message content, in order to steer clear of
issues around censorship and favoritism. This makes a deal of sense to
me - for example, somehow I often get Christian spam offering salvation
and urging me to repent. The senders undoubtedly have the best motives,
namely the welfare of my eternal soul, but it is still spam - a
mass-distributed, unsolicited message not specifically intended for me.

To quote MAPS' definition (http://mail-abuse.org/standard.html):

	A message need not be offensive or commercial in order to fit
	the definition of "spam." Content is irrelevent except to the
	extent necessary to determine personal applicability, consent,
	and benefit.

Anyway, although this message was better directed than offering ways to
make money fast, buy shares, or extend our genitalia, it is still spam.

Stephen

--
Stephen Judd <sljudd at paradise.net.nz>

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!