[wellylug] WINXP/VMWare and RH 8

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Jan 21 21:52:21 NZDT 2003

--- "teejay1203 <teejay1203 at hotmail.com>" <teejay1203 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> One of my flatmates is running Win XP, VMWare and RH8. Unfortunately
> when he starts VMWare on XP, and chooses Linux, he gets dumped into
> the default terminal mode (tty1).
>
> When I tried to use Xconfigurator, it wouldn't automatically detect
> the GEForce4 card (64M RAM) and the Phillips monitor, and as such
> looped around and around.

When you install a secondary OS with VMware, it has to use the virtual graphics
adapter that VMware provides. Only the base OS talks "directly" to the
hardware, all the VMware client OS's use virtual drives, cards. ports etc.

VMware provide pretty good instructions for this on their web site.

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/