[wellylug] RH 8 Advanced server needed

Grant McLean grantm at web.co.nz
Fri Jan 24 09:45:51 NZDT 2003

I've been a RedHat user for years and they've never given
me a reason to switch to another distribution.  However even
with that history I'm struggling to see the value of their
Advanced Server products.

It's hard to get past the price tag.  My somewhat cynical
take is that the product is targeted at people who don't
believe a product is worth having unless they've paid a
lot for it.  Yes, the price tag does include support, but
when was the last time you needed vendor support on Linux?

The biggest differentiator is the slow cycle time.  Rather
than shipping the very latest leading edge versions of all
packages, the theory goes that Advanced Server will include
stable versions.  Then throughout the life of the product,
RedHat will back-port security patches to those versions
rather than requiring you to upgrade a package and
potentially break some version dependency that another
package has. That argument does have some merit and will be
attractive to some target markets.

As to where you can get it, I'm not sure that you can
download ISO images (it's GPL though so the source must be
available).  I think you can get evaluation copies direct
from RedHat (ie: register through the website and they send
them to you).

Regards
Grant

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/