[wellylug] WellyLUG List Noise Levels

Tony Wills ajwills at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 30 21:41:04 NZDT 2003

At 19:55 30/10/03 +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>My other peeve is stealing threads.
>
>If you want to send a new message to the (or any) list, please don't do it by
>replying to someone else's. It screws up the threads in a thread-enabled MUA,
>making it very likely that something will get deleted or ignored by accident.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't considered that, I'll keep it in
mind. I often start a new topic to mailing lists by replying to something
in that mailing list, saves worrying about getting the address right (hard
to keep up when people keep moving servers ;-) ... of course I edit the
subject-line ... but of course the other 100 header lines are normally
hidden from view ...

... why isn't someone complaining about all those headers ...
I especially loved the X-Spam-Report: of 20 lines that had detected too
many !!! in the subject line (of a message with 4 lines of actual content).

But interesting that Richard started a new topic (stealing threads) by
stealing a thread about a different topic, and not even changing the
subject line ;-)

Have you ever noticed that threads raving about Noise to signal ratios on
newsgroups and mailing lists seem to generate more noise than the original
thing that was being complained of ..

I know, I know, I shouldn't have been tempted to join in :-(

PS why do people put disclaimers about things being just their opinion ...
why don't we just assume every post is just the authors opinion unless they
are quoting someone else or present their expert qualifications on the
subject before they start ;-) ;-) :p

PPS Now, if I could only think of something to say about linux ... (huh!
there we are, I got it back on topic :-)