[wellylug] Modem Problems...

Sam Cannell sam at plaz.net.nz
Wed Feb 11 09:14:48 NZDT 2004

Pppd will not replace your current default route.  It appears that you
already have a default gateway set for your network card.

To fix this, either:

* add the 'replacedefaultroute' configuration option to /etc/ppp/options
(see man pppd), or

* before dialing, run 'route delete -net default' as root, or

* after dialing, run 'route delete -net default', then 'route add -net
default dev ppp0'

If you don't ever use a machine on your local network as a gateway for
your laptop, it might be worth removing the route from that interface.
To do this in Debian, edit /etc/network/interfaces and remove the line
'gateway 192.168.0.1'.  Other distributions will differ.