[wellylug] Interesting combination of Debian packages

John C Barstow jbowtie at amathaine.com
Thu Jul 1 12:03:37 NZST 2004

I've been playing quite a lot with the latest GNOME and found that the
following (using versions in unstable, anyway) really works wonders:

2.6.x kernel
hotplug
udev
gnome-volume-manager

I needed to add ide_cd to my /etc/modules to avoid losing my CDROM (the
README.Debian for udev lists a handful of modules that can't be loaded
properly).
Basically, this combination gives me:
  * A sane /dev directory
  * Autodetection and hotplugging of all my devices
      - except those mentioned in the udev README
  * Auto-mounting of all hot-plugged drives (such as USB drives)

As far as I can tell, "it just works". All the futzing around with
fstab, modules.conf, and so forth is gone unless I feel a need to
nominate specific mount points.
--
John C Barstow
GNOME Translation Project