[wellylug] New prices for TelstraClear Cable

Phillip Hutchings sitharus at sitharus.com
Wed Mar 3 09:21:32 NZDT 2004

On 3/03/2004, at 8:46 AM, Ewen McNeill wrote:

> In message <404479EF.5080406 at ubietygroup.com>, Rob Giltrap writes:
>> Customers on TelstraClear's residential network in those areas can now
>> have a level of speed and traffic volume not seen in New Zealand
>> before.
>> There are three plans including the "entry level" HighSpeed 1G which
>> offers 2048 kbps/512kbps and 1 Gigabyte for just $39.95. When a phone
>> line is added it costs $64.90.
>> [....]
>> I'm getting the 2Mb/512Kb/5GB as soon as their call centre opens in
>> the
>> morning... A full 650MB ISO in 45 minutes... yummy.
>
> Alas you can't actually ask for them yet (been there, tried that).
> They
> officially launch on the 8th of March (even though they're on their
> website now), and the plan changeover has to happen on a billing cycle
> rollover.

How convenient, my rollover is the 16th ;)

I'll probably switch, it's worth it for the 512Kbps upstream - I know
some professional low-volume web hosts who have less ;)

It all depends on what you're doing though, I think they should have a
cheaper 10GB offering, possibly with 1Mbps down, or even 512Kbps. The
1GB one should tempt people off of dialup though - most dialup users
won't use that much, and it'll leave the phone line free :)

I know that Ascent sell cable modems (well, modem) certified for use on
the TelstraClear network. I don't know if TelstraClear will let you use
it, and with the rental dropping $7 to $10/month, you'd have to wait 21
months or so for the modem to pay itself back. And the great thing
about rentals is that if the network changes (doubt it...) or the modem
dies, it'll be replaced! Not that I've ever heard anyone need that...

--
Phillip Hutchings
me at sitharus.com
http://www.sitharus.com/