[wellylug] New prices for TelstraClear Cable

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 3 11:31:46 NZDT 2004

Phillip Hutchings <sitharus at sitharus.com> wrote:

> I know that Ascent sell cable modems (well, modem) certified for use on
> the TelstraClear network. I don't know if TelstraClear will let you use
> it, and with the rental dropping $7 to $10/month, you'd have to wait 21
> months or so for the modem to pay itself back. And the great thing
> about rentals is that if the network changes (doubt it...) or the modem
> dies, it'll be replaced! Not that I've ever heard anyone need that...

The last time I checked (about 6 months ago) I was told you couldn't use
your own modem on the TelstraClear cable network. This may have changed,
but it would pay to check before purchasing one!

I had an issue with signal strength being too *high* for several months,
and causing up to 24 hours of outage at a time. After months of convincing
them it wasn't my Windows network settings (sheesh - how many times do you
have to tell someone you're not using Windows???) I finally managed to
organise a free visit from a cable technician. One 3dB attenuator later,
it was all fixed. So my experience means I would recommend hiring the
modem anyway, because you'll get free maintenance and replacement, and
lots of lovely lo-fi but free "callcentre queue" music.

Thanks for the replies to my initial concerns - I don't intend to switch
to a new plan, so here's hoping I can retain my existing plan for as long
as possible.

--
David.