[wellylug] Presentation videos now available

Jamie Baddeley wellylug at vpc.co.nz
Tue Mar 9 22:05:18 NZDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

Can I offer some thoughts here?

I've been worried about the sort of reaction today, and I thought it
might happen.

Worryingly, I've been thinking (this is where Jeremy accuses me of
having beginners luck):

- First of all we need to recognise that the time and effort that R2
provide is for free.

- Secondly we need appreciate the motives as to why R2 might offer to do
this sort of thing at such at excellent price (and also why they have
decided to stream only).

- Thirdly, the last thing we want is for someone who is basically doing
this for the benefit of the community at large is to be inundated with
lots of small requests for this and that. This is not the point.

- R2 could well offer to provide CD's at the following LUG meeting, and
that's their choice. In fact R2 could well say "Jamie, don't worry about
it", and I'll shut up. Or something like that ;-)

Now this is where I move into IMHO mode.

- The point of a meeting is so we can share ideas, tips and tricks, get
to see each other from the other side of the monitor, have a yarn etc.

- The last thing I think we want to have happen is people stop coming to
a LUG meeting, because they can watch it online instead. Catching up
each other in meatspace instead of cyberspace has it's value.

- Meetings are the one regular social event we do, and we should try and
keep it that way.

- If you can't make it go, ask for help. I can watch it here. All you
need is mplayer.

- The fact that it's Microsoft format is actually good. *gasp* Why?
Because meetings are good. The people who come to a LUG meeting are the
"converted" - if we are to spread the word about Linux, how cool it is,
and make it easy for new Linux Users join the group, then we need to
communicate to the "unconverted" i.e those in MS land. Therefore an MS
based stream means that the LUG grows. Which is good.

- I realise that some people just can't make it to a meeting. But
honestly, if it's that important, a little bit of time hacking mplayer
to go will be worth it.

Links:
http://marillat.free.fr/

jamie