[wellylug] MD10CE updates

Robin Hinde robin at hindesite.co.nz
Mon Mar 22 18:54:10 NZST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:33, Damon Lynch wrote:

> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
>
> Almost any mirror listed will do.

No, that is my point. When using the Software Media Manager and adding an
update_source, you are presented with a list of servers to choose from. The
problem is, there is no way to differentiate between a server that has no
updates (which seems to be most of them) and one that matches the state of
your system - the error messages are the same.

It took me ages to find a server that actually had updates on it, and now the
error message I get when checking for updates is that my system is current,
whereas I'm pretty sure I'm now looking at a mirror that is out of date. This
is exactly the same situation I was in immediately after the upgrade to 10,
when I knew there were supposed to be ~500MB of updates already available,
yet few of the mirrors had been updated. Hence the difficulty finding
updates.

I could wait for more mirrors to be updated (and I probably will), but I'm
interested to see if there is a newer update for Konqueror that makes it
usable again.

>  rsync is
> handy.

Not sure how that fits into the Software Media Manager/Mandrake Update
scenario.

> It will be helpful to file bug reports, if that's the case.

Of course, but I want to check to see if any updates have already been updated
:-) Besides which, some of the  problems may have been caused by my own
stupidity (although the system shouldn't let me wreck it, it does - wouldn't
boot this morning, although that was easy to fix).

> http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/
>
> > Also, does anyone know if any mirrors with contribs are available yet?
>
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3.  Change directory to the
> appropriate contrib directory.  I have all of contrib and all of main on
> my server at home.  I can distribute these to you via CD or DVD.  Please
> contact me off list if you are interested.

No thanks, I'll pass on that - there's about 3.3GB of contribs with more
coming all the time and I'll probably only ever download a few rpms. Lots of
mirrors are well behind others in this respect (hence my question, looking
for a specific link or mirror that is up to date.)

thanks,