[wellylug] Linux on yourCV

Enkidu enkidu at cliffp.com
Sun May 9 15:23:55 NZST 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004 20:06:53 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>> MF skills *DO* translate to other environments....
>
>I'd like to see any MSCE who really has a clue about serious IT admin at one
>site I work with.

Mmm, what's MCSE to do with Mainframes?

>Mostly Windows, but on Novell, with UNIX (several flavours), Cray T3E, Linux
>cluster, VAX cluster, etc...
>
>We couldn't afford to get an inappropriate staff member to support these, &
>skills are NOT portable enough to enable someone with a typical mainframe
>support background useful without months or years of upskilling. Been there....

Bah humbug! Any Mainframe Sysadmin will have been writing programs to
do sysadmin tasks, supporting multiple environments and users, and
*those* skills are portable. Most MF sysadmins will have been dealing
with networked PCs and terminal emulation programs, TCP/IP, etc. etc.
They will have a good grounding in the basics - such as scheduled
maintenance, patch deployment, backups, security, etc.

A mainframer will find it easy to switch to a heterogeneous
environment because the modern mainframe environment IS heterogenous.
However a non-mainframer would have great difficulty in switching to a
mainframe environment.

IMO, and my last word on the subject. We could go on for ever!

Cheers,

Cliff