[wellylug] WiFi

Jeremy Naylor jeremy.naylor at r2.co.nz
Wed Jul 20 15:48:20 NZST 2005

At 15:30 20/07/2005, you wrote:
>No, it is not a big site.  I am mystified why the signal is weak when
>present, and disappears from time to time.  I am guessing that there could
>be other radiating sources interfering with the signal, but it is coasal
>residential so would not expect  industrial use to be the problem.  I used
>my laptop with Netstumbler to confirm the signal was present but
>weak.  The distance is perhaps 20 metres at most.  And I am using
>directional aerial which can go a long way if unimpeded.  And there is
>nothing in the house construction that would absorb the signal in any
>unexpected way.
>Thanks for your thoughts.
>
>Lindsay

Hey Lindsay,

Are there too many walls between your laptop and the AP?

I've got this problem with our wireless LAN at my place, with the AP in my
room, and my flatmate in the furthest room away from my room only gets a
very weak signal. The distance is just over 20 metres. So, I've put a CAT5
cable in between the hub in my room and his PC in his room, and now it
works fine.

Try that then maybe?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,