[wellylug] Evolution and OpenOffice integration (MIME)

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 2 09:20:08 NZDT 2005

In the past, I had Evolution automatically offer to open MSWord
attachments with OpenOffice (oowriter/xoowriter). However for a while now,
this hasn't been happening and Evolution only provides an option to save
to disk. I searched Google and forums.gentoo.org but all I could find were
solutions for people running KDE or Gnome desktops.

Does anyone know how this whole MIME thing works? Is there a file,
preferably in ~ somewhere, that I can change to restore this behaviour?
I'm thinking that because Evolution is a Gnome app, the Gnome desktop
solution might work, but I'm a bit confused about what the following files
all mean:

~/.mime.types
~/.gnome/mime-info/...
~/.kde/share/mime/lnk/...
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
KDE .desktop files

How do these all fit together? How does MIME actually work?

--
David.