[wellylug] how slow

Julian Osborne julian.o at paradise.net.nz
Thu Mar 17 19:39:17 NZDT 2005

E.CHALARON wrote:

>>Did I see you in a newspaper article about a month ago?
>>

>Yeap ....
>

>>A 64-bit architecture appears to be of little benefit to your
>>application as you're working with bit-manipulation and byte
>>quantities.
>>

>Allright that is worth knowing.

Well the 64 bit drivers (AMD-64) Have no optimizations (regarding Gaming
/ 3D Graphics) so they end up being slower than 32bit in tests.

I think the great thing about AMD-64 is that they run so well in 32 bit
mode.

I'm not going to bother with 64-bit drivers because games etc. are not
yet 'proper' 64-bit - so they end up running slower than 32bit again.

>I think that since the image data is too bulky to cache well, high
>memory bandwidth is the main factor you should be looking for.

Yes.. true. *wonders if DDR2-533 will ever have tight enough timings to be worth it*
lol at DDR2-CL4