[wellylug] Linux admin advice

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Wed May 4 17:39:56 NZST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 14:33, Brent Wood wrote:

> > if there was setup of the databases and set up of apache and all that
> > crap, maybe --- no not even come to think of it...
> >
> > from barebones system (laptop) to fully working ubuntu setup, 2 hours
> > max is all it took me
>
> About how I felt when I got told. Although I don't know if your laptop had
> apache/tomcat/PostGRES/PostGIS/php installed, but that still doesn't get to 20
> hrs.

apache & php are easy to install - especially in a common distro.

It should only take about 3 hours max, perhaps a bit longer if there
were problems with incompatible hardware, tricky to configure hardware,
or some really obsecure package you wanted, that required heaps of
strange deps, that weren't in ubuntu.

Most people - even an average 'hobbiest' could install it in this time -
It ain't windows! It doesn't need 10 restarts and millions of other apps
installed to make it work.

--
-- Jethro Carr

jethro.carr at jedolinux.com