[wellylug] adsl cable and wireless

Donald Gordon don at dis.org.nz
Thu Sep 14 17:13:26 NZST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:53:53 +0900, scott <scott at slackisland.org> wrote:

> However it sounds like cable is the way to go (for the time being) if it
> is available. I used cable about 5 years ago when I lived in northern
> Japan and it was pretty reliable...

Cable has its disadvantage too, of course; you're still stuck buying it
from one of the major telcos, and they don't like to play nicely with
the smaller ISPs.

> One other quick question, what about wireless? My zaurus pda uses an
> "Air-H" card for dial-up ppp connections (128K)- I haven't been able to
> find provider info yet around Wellington. I checked out the "Wireless
> Wellington" hot spot map which looks promising... What is the standard
> for mobile Internet access?

UMTS / HSDPA / GPRS from Vodafone, or CDMA 1xRTT / EVDO from Telecom.
Or 802.11b/g, if you're within range of someone's hotspot.

Not that the cellular options (Vodafone/Telecom) are especially cheap.

donald