[wellylug] Internet email blocked

Donovan Jones hta.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:56:42 NZDT 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 5:54 PM, Jeff Hunt <jeffhunt90 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unable to find server is the standard message with advice about spelling
> it correctly etc.
> All other computers in the offices including the IT help and the other
> single Linux machine are getting internet emails, as I was until I changed
> machine. It is weird but what happens.
> I have never tried a traceroute. I'm at home at present (hence gmail) and
> will try that tomorrow.

by "internet emails" i think you mean webmail, ie email accessed via a web
browser, which on the client only requires http.

It sounds like your browser (firefox?) is giving the "problem loading
page/Server not found" message. There could be few reasons for this.

you could be having issues resolving the domain name

try the command "host gmail.com" to see if you can resolve the name.

you could have a proxy or web filter of some description, check your browser
settings or talk to the IT staff to find out.

you could have some sort of connectivity problem or firewall issue, try
"ping gmail.com" or "traceroute gmail.com" to see if you can get to gmail.

hth

Donovan