[wellylug] Ubuntu LTS Desktop vs Server

Jeff Hunt jeffhunt90 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 14:21:56 NZST 2008

The world Open Source upgrading is a very different world from that of
Microsoft and from what was going on in '98.

I originally thought I should use a stable platform for as long as
possible, but in fact improvements are coming through so fast and the
installation and upgrade tools are now so good that it is quite
practical to upgrade on a 6 month or longer cycle as the mood takes
you and remain a conservative computer user. To get access to up to
date software you really need to be up to date with your OS.
The other modern advantage of updating is that there are huge backup
storage devices, even if you only borrow one. You can rescue all your
existing files and then play at upgrading without any risk.
I think you will hook into the regular upgrade path and not suffer any
stress or disasters.
I updated to Hardy Heron on four computers last week (two at work and
two at home) and I'm getting restless for Intrepid Ibex, and they
ain't even got it planned yet.