[wellylug] (no subject)

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Thu Nov 20 03:43:46 NZDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Tim O'Brien <timalot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The 701 is good for watching videos, listening to music, skype/IM ,
>> wireless ethernet bridge etc... Also not a bad terminal. Battery
>> performance means that you basically need an AC adapter at all times.
>
> That's kinda wierd, because the iPhone is *much* smaller and only a
> couple of times slower at most -- about the speed of a 400 MHz PowerPC
> G4 by my tests, while the 701 is about the speed of a 1.25 GHz PowerPC
> G4 (though the speed difference in web browsing is much less
> noticeable than that) -- and yet the iPhone can play movies for "up to
> 7 hours", or browse the web via wifi for "up to 6 hours".  One of the
> main things I use mine for is as an e-book reader.  I haven't timed
> how long it can do that, but it's in the region of at least 10 - 12
> hours.  And I find the screen far more readable than the 701 I played
> with.

Weird? Sounds to me like a bit of attitude in there Bruce. :-)

On the other hand, because I don't like Apple's lock-in attitudes,
I've tried to stay away from Apple Proprietary stuff. Alternatively, the
Eee PC is morally a fairly stand-up application of technology. It
also has a full QWERTY keyboard that's a little quicker to use than a
touchscreen phone, and has the means to connect external
keyboard/monitor/mouse at whim.. the iPhone may be an extremely portable
box with a fairly decent UI and efficient rendering space on-screen - but
the Eee is in another class, IMHO.

Mark.