[wellylug] off-topic whining

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Mon Sep 14 17:43:41 NZST 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 15:19 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> I like to think that, as adults, we can have disparate views on difficult
> topics without resorting to violent name-calling or other abusive behaviour.

I would like to take a moment to point out that nobody on this list has
been resorting to name calling, which is always unacceptable in any
discussion, no matter how strong feelings maybe.

If this was done off-list, there's not much I can do, but any such
action on the list would get a reminder from me.

> > That's one of the major complaints I have with linuxchix - I support the
> > idea of getting women involved in IT and to prevent sexism, but they always
> > discuss the problem as in all males are deterring women from IT and open
> > source which actually puts me off their cause since it's implying that as a
> > male, I'm responsible for it.
>
> I would like to discuss this further, since this is clearly a failure of
> communication: that is unequivocally *not* the message that I, or the people
> I know involved in the LinuxChix programs, are trying to send.
>
> If it is the message you are hearing, though, then perhaps talking about it
> reasonably would let me understand how I was failing in that communication,
> and to be able to effectively talk to you about the actual message I wanted to
> send.

I haven't got a lot of free time to go into detail about the problems
with linuxchix. However, in short:

Many people involved with linuxchix are great and actively want to help
promote women in IT which is great. However, their approach is to create
a separate group for all the women and then to never get involved with
the rest of the community.

They form their own group just for women then complain about men not
letting them get involved when in fact they don't try to.

For example, linuxchix don't get involved with Wellylug, I've invited
them to do some talks at the meetings but never had any response or even
any attendees.

Linuxchix seems to segregate itself from the community then complain
about lack of acceptable by the same community they are ignoring.

Anyway, that's my perspective of linuxchix, I'm sure some may disagree,
but this is how the organisation comes across to me.

regards,
jethro

--
Jethro Carr