[wellylug] Raid trouble

edouard chalaron e.chalaron at xtra.co.nz
Thu Apr 21 11:59:16 NZST 2016

Hi all

I am a bit puzzled here....
Here we go; after a reboot a machine lost the plot on a RAID0. Could
not mount it.
No need to say that usually it boots without any warning or alerts,
hence my surprise

So .. removed the line in /etc/fstab to be able to boot

The Raid has 5 drives (sdb to sdf)
Using the GUI md0 is not detected, although seems to be here

# ll /dev/md0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 0 Apr 21 11:18 /dev/md0

I decided to carry on and try to assemble it : and I get that sdb1 et
sdc1 are busy ! therefore can't be mounted etc ...
I tried the --fail or --remove on   /dev/md0 without success

also since md0 appears in the /dev and it's XFS; let's try xfs_db

xfs_db: error - read only 0 of 32768 bytes
xfs_db: /dev/md0 is invalid (cannot read first 512 bytes)

So I suppose their is no point trying a xfs_repair either.

The way I understand it : something somewhere is wrongly telling me
that my 2 drives sdb and sdc are busy.

but where ..... :'(

any idea anyone ?
Thanks