[wellylug] Meeting this month - combining with Perl Mongers and time change to Tuesday

Michael Coleman michaelcoleman500 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 00:25:40 UTC 2018

thanks for the update Olly,
I think you make a good point - that if Wellington is hit with severe
weather and say only half of would-be attendees and speakers make it, what
would have been a really cool meetup would suffer by the lack of
attendance  and some people would miss out on the lightning talks.

I'm just the fill in organiser for the Feb WellyLUG but, as I see it, this
generates a couple of questions:

Do we, as a combined meetup of organisers, speakers and attendees feel that:

    [A] Based on the prediction of the Metservice and the deleterious
effect cyclone Gita may have on the meetup, the meetup should be cancelled
or deferred? - or
    [B] Most people are not too concerned if they can't make it or if they
are not able to give a talk they put some work into?

If people don't generally reply in a manner asserting that they want to
postpone, I would take it - by way of their conduct - that its:
[B] We generally feel that the downside of missing out or a poorly attended
meeting doesn't justify the work to re-negotiate the meeting space and
"extra" announcements, rescheduling of calendars etc.

In that case I would assume we want to keep the meeting scheduled for its
current time and location, whilst acknowledging there is a risk the meeting
may suffer from a lack of attendance?
If speakers who couldn't make it wanted to, maybe their talks could be
worked into future meetups?

I would guess that if, closer to the time, the weather looked like it would
prevent any semblance of a meeting, an "emergency"
postponement/cancellation could be made?

If the response is [A], then I guess we may need to discuss deferring the
meetup somehow?

What do people think?